British Airways, N.A.
Strategic Focus: To enhance service excellence by engaging employees in sharing best practices, envisioning opportunities, and self-organizing to design and implement customer service innovations.
Project Brand: The Power of Two
Corporation for Positive Change Services: We designed and facilitated a two-year process of Appreciative Inquiry into Service Excellence. Key milestones included:
- Formation of a cross level, cross-functional core team.
- Forty people met to for two days to select affirmative topics and draft an appreciative interview guide.
- One hundred people were trained as interviewers.
- Within six months nine hundred employees were involved in interviews.
- Meetings were held in each of 18 airport locations to summarize interview results and prepare representatives to attend the Appreciative Inquiry Summit later in the year.
- Ninety people participated in the two-day AI Summit.
- Cross location, cross-functional innovation teams were formed and worked for three months making significant contributions to the organization in the areas of: happiness at work, continuous people development, harmony among work groups and exceptional arrival experiences.
- Significantly improved employee satisfaction as reported on the annual employee survey.
- Dissemination of customer service best practices, especially those related to arrivals, resulted in improved service and customer satisfaction.
Ripple Effects: Appreciative Inquiry became contagious. It was used to redesign HR processes, as well as to enhance employee engagement and to identify best practices